Use of Color in Everyday Life
Color is light: Let us be filled with light.
Orange is the second color of the spectrum and the rainbow and the second Chakra color.
Orange light at 590 nm is used for its healing, draining and detoxifying properties. It is absorbed by the body fluids in the lymph and blood circulatory systems and promotes wound healing.
When considering orange and how it affects us, know that color influences emotions, relaionships, our environment. Since we can utilize color so easily, it truly becomes the NUMBER ONE KIND OF PRACTICAL MAGIC
we can use in our everyday lives.
- Halloween: Orange is for fall, harvest and pumpkins. The Jack’O Lantern wards off evil spirits.
- Words for an Orange Day: Enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.
- House of Orange: This is the dynasty of the Netherlands that derived its name from the medieval principality of Orange in old Provance, southern France. The dynasty was important in the history of the Netherlands and is the royal family.
- Use Orange When: You wish to spice things up, when you feel time is dragging, to become more involved in something, to increase creativity, to lighten up the moment.
- Healthy Orange: Think vitamin C in oranges and tangerines. Eat orange antioxidant-rich food like winter squash, pumpkins, papayas, mangoes, cantaloupe, apricots.
- The Orange Bowl: This is the annual American college football bowl game played in Dolphin Stadium just outside Miami, Florida
- Florida: The orange is the official state fruit.
- Get Orange-Balanced: Too much ORANGE and we become self-centered and self serving, disregarding the needs of others. Too little ORANGE and we lose our motivation, our self esteem suffers, and we have a tendency to isolate or become rebellious.
- Love it or Leave it: Many folks, in an informal survey, have strong orange feelings. There are those who adore it; those who dislike wearing it; those who think it’s beautiful in nature.
GEM STONES IN ORANGE
Amber, Topaz, Jasper, Carnelian, Citrine, Fire Opal
Stones and crystals give off frequencies for that color. (Don’t forget, color is light.) Wear orange jewelry or place stones in home or office to attract creativity, sexuality, bringing groups together. It’s a power color!
SECOND CHAKRA MAGIC
Sexuality and Creativity
- The second Chakra is in the pelvic area. That’s where relationships and sexual issues reside. It is the seat of creativity. It’s color is orange.
- SO, when this Chakra is blocked we experience problems with our sexuality, relationships gone bad, loss of libido, stiff lower back or reproductive illnesses.
- Go ahead and belly dance, wear orange and liven things up. Find the energy from that center.
A LITTLE HISTORY ON ORANGE
The Democratic Color
- In Elizabethan England they had the Sumptuary Laws. These said who could wear what colors and materials. It reflected class, religion and status. For instance, ermine was reserved for royalty.
- We’re happy to report that lower and upper classes could both wear orange!
- Madder Root (Rubia tinctorum) was used as a dye to produce the whole spectrum of red-based colors including orange, russet and brown. The dye was not color fast and relatively cheap.
- Orange symbolized both courage and Christianity.
Nature is Miraculous
Orange is all over the Southwest. Consider the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Hopi Land, the Painted Desert. Iron gives the rocks their orange hue; other metals contribute their particular colors. Brilliant sunsets glow with orange. It is awesome, spectacular, sacred.
Dark orange, sienna: Can mean deceit and distrust or earthy subdued orange. Rust is oxidized iron.
Red-orange corresponds to desire, sexual passion, pleasure, domination, aggression, and thirst for action.
Gold evokes the feeling of prestige. The meaning of gold is illumination, wisdom, and wealth. Gold often symbolizes high quality
Copper is metallic, regal, a less flashy orange.
MAGICKAL ORANGE WISDOM
- Orange is a combination of yellow/Mercury (mental agility) and red/Mars (action-energy). Thus you have the best of both worlds, the energies of the actions of red, yet the intelligence to know how to use this action.
- Sunday is the best day for the use of the color orange. It can be used on Tuesday or Wednesday with success, depending on your goals. If used on Tuesday, the emphasis is on physical action. If used on Wednesday, it is on mental actions whereas Sunday is a balance of both.
CHINESE MEDICINE PERSPECTIVE
- Earth is the orange element. Orange, in combination with yellow, grounds us into the earth energies.
- Earth energy supports our process of digesting information nutritionally, physically and spiritually.
- Orange is a great color for removing negativity and releasing old emotions.
- The use of orange helps relieve muscle pain and cramping, especially menstrual cramps.
COLORFUL ACTIVITIES FOR ORANGE LOVERS
Wear Orange and See What You Think. Try a scarf, jewelry or go full out with a dress, coat or sweater. Is it pleasing? Is it easy to wear? It could help you with your creative bent or attract friends.
Interview a Lady of Orange: How does a red/orange haired goddess live in her skin? Does she have freckles? Is she outgoing? What’s it like to be an orange woman? Traditionally red-heads wore green. I know an orange lady who wears orange, red, and a lot of purples or chartreuse—all at once!
Have a Tropical Hawaiian Party: Serve a fruit salad with tangerines, oranges, mangoes, papayas. Have orange candles and flowers. Wear loud flowered prints. Are people more outgoing and friendly in this atmosphere?
Resources: Some of this Newsletter was adapted from:
Circling: Using Practical Magic to Create Your Sacred Space
What Grandma should have, could have taught you….
Connect With Other Wise Women. Join In Ceremony with Drums and Rattles! If you have one, bring it.
Your home is your sanctuary. Make it peaceful, inviting, magical.
You don’t have to buy out a metaphysical store to create a sacred living space.
We are talking practical-what you have around the house.
Use wise women’s wisdom plus your own intuition to alter your surroundings in a positive way.
Share kitchen magic, folklore, and cultural superstitions to see how they affect your life.
By joining together with other women in safety and ceremony we will explore how intention and common objects can change outcome.
- You will leave with practical magical tools to help you have what you need.
- Circling has been a natural way for women to gather since the beginning. It creates a safe space to congregate for confidences, support, ceremony and tradition.
- We have been circling for over 20 years and love connecting with other women.
- We find that the group energy and sisterhood created together is very empowering and useful as we go about our daily lives.
When: Sunday April 19, 2009 from 1-4 pm
Where: Old Hampden Holistic Center
3501 South Corona St., Englewood, CO 80113
(5 blocks East of Swedish Medical Center-facing out on Old Hampden)
To Sign Up: Call A Women’s Circle: 720-530-2834
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: Only $15