Lord RN, CMT
Women’s Circle Facilitator
“The Great Mystery”
Who Are You and Why?
February brings us to a NEW SERIES…
The concept of “Archetypes”. What are they? Why are they relevant? What is and isn’t an Archetype? How does advertising “skew” the truth? Where do YOU fit into the Archetype concept? How does the “Goddess” enter this picture? Is putting yourself into the “Goddess” framework a stretch? These and other questions (as they pop up) will be part of our series.
What is An Archetype?
An Ideal: The perfect example, original pattern or model
Cross Cultural: A concept that pops up worldwide; universally present
A Prototype: Something on which others are copied
Ancient: Inherited from our ancestors and in our psyches
The Overall Truth: Beyond law or opinion; What IS
The Essence of what makes us human
A Portal: Connection to the Universal Consciousness
Examples of Archetypes
- Ideals of the Human Journey: Gods/Goddesses, maidens/ mother/ crone
- Creative & Spiritual Energy Figures: Creators of Earth and Life
- Mythical beings: Dragons, Phoenix, Mermaids, Silkies
- Elementals which can take Human Form: Sun, Moon, Earth, Fire, Water, Earth
- Symbols that Connect Us: Star, Circle, Snake, Spiral, Thunderbolts
Where Can Archetypes Be Found?
- Oral Folk Lore: Story telling, old wives tales
- Fairy Tales: Cinderella (the maiden), fairy godmother (the crone)
- Literature: Novels, Mythology, Philosophy, Psychology-particularly of Carl Jung
- Advertising and Media: The ideal woman, the manly man, the seductress
How Archetypes Help Us
- Better understand your own journey
- Increase communication between the conscious and unconscious mind
- Trigger greater sense of meaning and fulfillment in life
- Help us communicate and understand each other (what makes us tick)
Some of the MANY Qualities an Archetype Could Have
- The Triad: Maiden, Mother, Wise Woman (Crone)
- Childbirth/ Midwifery/Fertility
- Creation/Earth Mothers
- Heavens: Moon/Sun/Stars
The Goddess Question…Or Where Do You Fit??
- The word “Archetype” was coined by Swiss psychologist Carl Jung around 1919.
- But the “Archetype” concept has been around since pre-history. It just didn’t have a name yet.
- Plato, ancient Greek philosopher spoke of ideal or pure forms.
- Gods and Goddesses were certainly “Ideals”, albeit with human frailties. But they were still ideals or perfect examples of that human condition.
- So if you are “The Mother” does that mean you have to be the perfect mom or the perfect example of creativity?
- WE THINK NOT. We think everyone has knacks or places where they shine.
- We may fit into certain slots like “The Mother”, “The Wise Woman” , The Huntress”. But that DOES NOT MEAN WE HAVE TO BE PERFECT TO QUALIFY.
- Now nice to have that pressure removed.
Go Within and Figure Out Who You Are: Try this. Sit comfortably. Light a candle. Then say out loud and fill in the blanks. "I am …. I come from…. I resonate with the color.… The East (direction) calls me…. Blank…makes my heart sing. My special knack is….. My sacred place is……" Keep going and say these things with conviction.
Do Above With a Trusted Sister/Friend: Once you feel comfortable in your own skin, do the same thing with a friend. Bring out the best in each other and have fun! Find your knack and connect with your Goddess within.
Our February Newsletter is adapted from the following resources:
COMING ARCHETYPE ATTRACTIONS:
Specific Goddesses and Who They Are in Different Cultures
Archetypes in Literature and Myths
Archetypes in Media and How Advertising Can Ruin Everything
The Way of the Medicine Wheel
Sunday April 11, 2010
1 pm - 4:30 pm
Connect With Other Wise Women
Join In Ceremony with Drums and Rattles!
- What is a Medicine Wheel? What does “Good Medicine” mean?
- We will explore this Native American concept and see how it fits into our lives and world view.
- We will use ceremony and group energy to discover our “Place” on the Wheel and how that can help us.
- The circle has been a natural way for women to gather since the beginning.
- BRING: A drum or rattle if you can. If not, we have extras.
Andrea Lord, Women’s Circle Facilitator, Reiki Practitioner
Rachel Lord, RN, CMT, Master Herbalist
Isis Books and Gifts
2775 South Broadway
Englewood, CO 80113
To Sign Up:
Phone: A Women’s Circle at 720-530-2834 or Isis at 303-321-0867
Earth Air Water Fire
Earth Air Water Fire is a workshop that weaves through these four elements to examine what’s in balance and what is out of balance in our lives. Where are the entanglements in our lives? Is it money, taking care of our physical bodies or values that no longer hold truth? Is there so much chatter and data flying about that there is no time to hear your own thoughts? Do you know what you feel? Or have these feelings/emotions been so numbed and stuffed that you can’t feel them anymore? What has happened to intuition? We need a meaning and purpose in life to reach those ideals towards which we can aspire. Is there passion, creativity and inspiration in your life?
There is a place deep within each of us that seeks to understand and then to be understood; however, for this to have a reality in our lives we must first know ourselves. In this full day workshop you will explore through cognitive, intuitive and experiential exercises to examine what is in balance and what is out of balance in your life. What about solutions and roadmaps, so you can move forward in your life? When one begins to see the “elements” and how they each weave into your life, you can then begin to create and live your own destiny. Now that’s cool!
Sharon Hoery and Omi Preheim invite you to join us for this cutting edge workshop Earth Air Water Fire. This workshop is a product of years of experience in education, business, psychology, astrology, numerology and metaphysical studies.
Earth Air Water Fire
When: Saturday, May 8, 2010
Time: 9:00am-4:30 pm
| Where: Old Hampden Holistic Center
3501 S. Corona St # 1
Englewood, CO 80113
Contact: Sharon Hoery