We Continue our Symbol Series…
The Symbol of the SPIRAL
The SPIRAL is much like a circle. But it is open and has a different energy. We will look into this ancient shape that goes way back in time to early man and before. Spirals abound in nature and are part of the DNA of our Earth.
SPIRALS IN GENERAL
- An open circle . Can be a single and/or double spiral (balance of opposites)
- A moving, changing circular shape.
- Has a direction: Goes in, out, sideways or intertwines. Not continuous but could be infinite. Upwards: Leading to “higher” consciousness. Downwards: Going within; Sideways: a wave of energy
- Historically: Found engraved on rocks in Paleolithic times. Magical. Spirals found in all cultures on churches, mosques, staircases, statues, carvings, etc. Obvious shape is like a coiled serpent. Has represented entrance into a sacred realm, coiling Kundalini energy, the Caduceus, Tree of Life (Cabbala), human brain, Guggenheim Museum
- Geometrically: A spiral is a curve on a plane that winds around a fixed center point at a continuously increasing or decreasing distance from the point.
- Three Dimentionally: A curve that turns around an axis at a constant or continuously varying distance while moving parallel to the axis
Three Varieties…Who Knew?
- The Milky Way: This is a “typical Spiral Galaxy” (Although we think it’s pretty miraculous.) 77% of the observed galaxies in the universe are spirals. They look like spirals, with long arms winding toward a bright bulge at the center.
- Face-on Spiral Galaxies: That’s us, the Milky Way. When you look at it directly, you can clearly see the spiral shape.
- Edge-on galaxies: If you see the galaxy from the side, it’s edge-on. With this one you can see its bright central bulge.
- Galaxies with arms: There are tightly wound arms and loosely wound arms. This makes a big difference and can be used to classify spirals. The Milky Way has loosely wound arms.
SPIRALS IN NATURE
“The Double Helix
- Helix: This is a variation of a spiral. It moves in height three dimentionally.
- A Double Helix: Two helixes spiraling up together.
- DNA: The genetic material in each cell nucleus is in the form of a double helix. (Except when the cell is dividing) Miracle of Miracles
OTHER NATURAL SPIRALS
“Animal, Vegetable, Mineral”
- Snakes: The sacred coil of a snake and snake symbology dates back to pre-historic times.
- Shells: A Nautilus, a snail, a conch shell are all spirals.
- Plants: A sunflower head, leaves, roots.
- Weather: Cyclones, hurricanes, typhoons, tornadoes
- Water: Flows clockwise or counterclockwise spirals depending on the hemisphere you are in. A toilet flushes in a spiral.
- Continents: Fractal patterns of coastlines and continents, hillsides can go in spirals. Noticeable in some eroded mountain sides and other geological formations.
- Human Organs: Brain: The cerebral cortex is a mass of spirals. Intestines: The small intestine can be fifteen feet of spirals
CULTURAL WAYS OF LOOKING AT SPIRALS
Creation, Growth, Power
- The Earliest Celtic Symbol: Used in decorative ornamentation and art. The first symbol used and by the mid-tenth century, the first to disappear.
- Pagan Art: The only provable decorative motive used in Christian Celtic art to have its roots in the pagan period.
- Celtic symbol for power. The three-in-one was the Triskele. It has three arms springing from a common center. (The four-legged version of this became the swastika.)
- The Triskele was depicted all over the Celtic world.
“The Chakra Double Helix”
- Kundalini Energy: Moves up the spine in a double helix. It has seven cross-overs, one at each major Chakra.
- Caduceus: The coiled Kundalini energy with the winged top. Symbol for the American Medical Association
“Journey to Sacred Realm”
Passport to the Other: This was depicted as an entryway to altered sacred reality.
Stone Monument in Newgrange, Ireland: A spiral on this monument is the entrance into an inner sanctuary. One had to pass through this in the journey of the “Sacred Dance”. Beyond this, a labyrinth led to sacred realms beyond the center.
The Center: The place of complete balance: where heaven and earth are joined.
ENERGY OF SPIRALS
- Spirals take you upwards. Spiral upwards to higher consciousness, a higher level of the journey.
- Spirals take you down. Going within. Traditionally in Christian art—into the “depths of hell”.
- Spirals take you side to side. A wave of energy. Decisions, decisions, back and forth. Which way to go?
- Spirals portray movement of energy, growth and development of creative vision. Whirling and spinning
Experience the Energy of the Circle
Gaze towards the night heavens away from city lights: Find our Galaxy, the Milky Way and see or picture it’s spiral nature. Let it take you for a ride.
Walk a Spiral: Ceremonially sing, dance, drum around in a spiral and sense its energy. Is it different going into it and coming out of it?
Some of our References:
Circles, Spirals and Labyrinths
Sunday July 11, 2010
1 pm - 4:30 pm
With Other Wise Women
Join In Ceremony with Drums and Rattles!
- Circles, Spirals and Labyrinths are ancient symbols that we all connect to.
- We will explore these sacred shapes and experience their power.
- These simple shapes bring one in contact with the universe and with ourselves. Come see how.
- The circle has
been a natural way for women to gather since the beginning.
- BRING: A drum
or rattle if you can. If not, we have extras.
Andrea Lord, Women’s Circle Facilitator, Reiki Practitioner
Rachel Lord, RN, CMT, Master Herbalist
Old Hampden Holistic Center
3501 South Corona St., Suite 1
Englewood, CO 80113
(5 blocks east of Swedish Medical Center)
To Sign Up:
Phone: A Women’s Circle at 720-530-2834
Expressing Yourself Through Numbers
Life has a way of nudging us along in one way or another, and this happens even if we would rather not be nudged. It can be small things or “major whack on the head” events that push us out of our comfort zones. Now, after years of being a student of numerology and astrology, I understand the cycles found in the wheels of life. We are being asked to “wake-up” to our life’s path and to step into the shoes found in our innate potentials. However, at the time I walked into the world of numbers, my life was in one of those downward spirals, lost and seemingly swimming in a dark, dark sea.
Books began to fall into my hands when visiting bookstores, e.g., The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Wheels of Life by Anodea Judith, and when I read these books, the information was familiar, as if I had read them before. Then, numbers began coming into view and consciousness. When reading, I would see the word Numerology and thought “NO WAY”, as math was not my favorite subject. Then I met a numerologist at a local Physic Fair, dressed in a suit and looking quite proper---I signed up. In fifteen minutes she told me more about myself than I thought possible---even those who had known me didn’t know these things about me. Being a seeker to understand, a doorway had now been opened to me. What I thought to be only “numbers” was really a pathway to finding myself. These universal symbols (numbers) had nudged (drop-kicked) me to seek a new, yet ancient pathway.
When one is open to the beauty of numbers, the world around you opens up and you no longer see the world the same---for numbers and the Tree of Life are one and the same. Expressing Yourself Through Numbers is a workshop designed to open up the world of numbers (nothing like what we were taught in school). We will draw the Tree of Life (a symbol found around the globe), and place the numbers on this tree. By using simple addition, we will find your Life Path (what you are here to learn), Expression (what are your innate talents), Heart’s Desire (what must be done for you to feed your soul), Outer Mask (what you project out onto others), your personal number year and master numbers. We will also look at patterns that help us and those patterns that can hinder us when making decisions, as well as creating conflicts in relationships.
We are surrounded by numbers; we might as well add them up!
Expressing Yourself Through Numbers Workshop
Saturday, July 24, 2010
9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Old Hampden Holistic Center
3501 South Corona St. Suite #1
Englewood, CO. 80110
Investment $35 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Please contact or email